Sunday, January 2, 2011

Letting Go/Picking Up

Happy New Year! This is a brief housekeeping post to assure myself (as I have no readers, as of yet) that I can start over again, with this blog. In the past, it lacked focus. I got too obsessed with design elements that just weren't working, so I wasn't very motivated to add content. Oh, and instantly streaming every episode of old tv series on Netflix doesn't help, either. (Seriously, that is how I spent most of my tv-time, in 2010.) I tried to focus on completing a list at a time, but it was probably a bad idea to start with Oscar winners and nominees for Best Picture. After a while, things got a bit formulaic. Though I did get to see some stellar flicks, I didn't get much of a break from the heavy-handed drama that tends to overshadow other genres in the winner's circle.

I really needed a break! I have learned a lot from previous mistakes, which led me back here. I really wanted to avoid discussing television on this blog, much as I love some of the series that grabbed my attention in 2010. I also really hate to be pigeon-holed into a single-genre blog, because I feel that I would be limiting myself and my overall enjoyment. ...aaaaannnnd, I'm insane. I decided that I would rededicate this blog to working through the FULL "Starting List" of films on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? I'm not talking about the list of 1,000 best pictures. No, that would be too easy. I'm going for broke; I'm going to attack the entire 8,800-picture list, in chronological order*. Yep. Insane.

I can imagine that this might get a bit frustrating from time to time, but I'm in too deep to turn back, now. I will be tracking my progress through this blog, but I'll also be using Lists Of Bests to track my progess in a more concise way, too. I'm already setting aside Thursday evenings as official "Movie Nights." It will be great, if I can coerce friends to join in the madness. I'm certainly going to try. Keep your eyes open!

*Of course, I'll still watch movies that aren't on the official list, but I'll probably reserve my thoughts about random picks to no more than one post a week--and probably less than that.

No comments: